ENERGY STAR® Certification Process
Among the California Energy Commission’s (CEC) core responsibilities are achieving energy efficiency and transforming transportation. The CEC is committed to ensuring that electric vehicle (EV) charging equipment installed under the California Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Project (CALeVIP) is energy efficient. By certifying your equipment with ENERGY STAR, you are taking an important step in helping the CEC make this commitment. That’s why the CEC is requiring that all eligible vendors for CALeVIP provide proof of application to the ENERGY STAR program before they can have their equipment placed on the list of approved EV charging equipment.
You are being asked to provide proof of application to the ENERGY STAR program instead of being required to be ENERGY STAR-certified because the CEC wants to allow adequate time for you to get your products ENERGY STAR-certified while at the same time making your products available to applicants to CALeVIP incentive projects. By starting your application process now, you can ensure that your equipment is eligible when the ENERGY STAR requirement is put in place. Follow the five steps outlined below to gain approval from the CEC.
Step One — Complete and submit the ENERGY STAR Partnership Agreement
- To begin your application for ENERGY STAR and receive pertinent application materials needed for this Commitment Form, fill out an ENERGY STAR Partnership Agreement.
- Once the Partnership Agreement is completed, obtain and fill out an ENERGY STAR Participation Form for Product Brand Owner document.
- Email the completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
c/o ICF International
1725 Eye Street, NW, Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20006
Step Two — Complete the CALeVIP ENERGY STAR Commitment Form
Step Three — Docket the ENERGY STAR Commitment Form
- Upload your completed ENERGY STAR Commitment Form on the California Energy Commission Docket Log.
- In the “Comment” section, enter your company name and state that this is your ENERGY STAR Commitment Form.
Step Four — Add your equipment to the CALeVIP equipment database
- Add all of the equipment listed in the ENERGY STAR Commitment Form to the CALeVIP equipment database. CALeVIP staff will verify your equipment and determine your equipment eligibility for CALeVIP incentive projects.
- For registered CALeVIP users, log in and from your user dashboard, click the Add Equipment button. Complete the Add Equipment form for all equipment listed in your ENERGY STAR Commitment Form.
- For new users, please create an account and sign up as an equipment manufacturer or service provider. After creating the account, it may take several business days to verify your organization as an equipment manufacturer or service provider. Once you are verified, follow the previously described steps to add equipment.
- Once you submit equipment to be verified, CALeVIP staff will inform you within seven business days whether your equipment is eligible for current CALeVIP incentive projects.
Step Five — Complete ENERGY STAR Testing and Certification
- Once complete, send an email to email@example.com noting certification has been received. Please also attach any certification or approval documents you received from the ENERGY STAR program noting which products have become ENERGY STAR certified.
Download the ENERGY STAR Certification Process and the Commitment Form below.