EV Charging Resources
ENERGY STAR® Certification Process
Among the core responsibilities of the California Energy Commission (CEC) are achieving energy efficiency and transforming transportation. The CEC is committed to ensuring that electric vehicle (EV) charging equipment installed under the California Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Project (CALeVIP) is energy efficient.
That’s why CEC is requiring eligible CALeVIP vendors to provide proof of ENERGY STAR certification for Level 2 charging equipment. Starting January 1st, 2024, DCFC charging equipment is also required to have ENERGY STAR certification.
If your equipment is not already ENERGY STAR certified, you can start the process now. When your equipment receives certification, it will be added to the Eligible Equipment list if it meets all other equipment requirements. Download the certification process document or follow the steps outlined below to gain approval from the CEC.
Complete and submit the ENERGY STAR® Partnership Agreement
- To begin your application for ENERGY STAR® fill out an ENERGY STAR®Partnership Agreement.
- Once the Partnership Agreement is completed, obtain and fill out an ENERGY STAR Participation Form for Product Brand Owner document.
- Email the completed forms to email@example.com or mail to:
c/o ICF International
2550 S. Clark Street, 12th Floor
Arlington, VA, USA 22202
DC Chargers capable of an output greater than 350kW are out of scope of the ENERGY STAR EVSE Specification. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request an out-of-scope evaluation. DC Chargers determined by ENERGY STAR to be out of scope for an output greater than 350kW are eligible to receive an exemption from the CALeVIP ENERGY STAR certification requirement.
Complete ENERGY STAR® Testing and Certification
Add your equipment to the CALeVIP equipment database
- Add all equipment that has obtained ENERGY STAR certification to the CALeVIP equipment database. CALeVIP staff will verify your equipment and determine your equipment eligibility for CALeVIP incentive projects.
- For registered equipment manufacturers log in to your equipment portal and click the New Equipment Request button. Complete the form for all equipment that has received ENERGY STAR certification.
- For new users,please create an account and sign up as an equipment manufacturer or service provider. To create an account, please email email@example.com. Once you are verified, follow the preceding step to add equipment.
- Once you submit equipment to be verified, CALeVIP staff will inform you via your dashboard and via email, within seven business days, whether your equipment is eligible for current CALeVIP rebate projects