EV Charging Resources
ENERGY STAR® Certification Process
Among the core responsibilities of the California Energy Commission (CEC) are achieving energy efficiency and transforming transportation. The CEC is committed to ensuring that electric vehicle (EV) charging equipment installed under the California Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Project (CALeVIP) is energy efficient.
By certifying your equipment with ENERGY STAR, you are taking an important step in helping the CEC fulfill its commitment. That’s why the CEC is requiring all eligible CALeVIP vendors to provide proof of ENERGY STAR certification before they can place their Level 2 EV charging equipment on the CALeVIP Eligible Equipment list.
If your equipment is not already ENERGY STAR certified, you can start the process now. When your equipment receives certification, it will be added to the Eligible Equipment list if it meets all other equipment requirements. Download the certification process document or follow the steps outlined below to gain approval from the CEC.
Complete and submit the ENERGY STAR® Partnership Agreement
- To begin your application for ENERGY STAR® fill out an ENERGY STAR® Partnership Agreement.
- Once the Partnership Agreement is completed, obtain and fill out an ENERGY STAR Participation Form for Product Brand Owner document.
- Email the completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
c/o ICF International
1725 Eye Street, NW, Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20006
Complete ENERGY STAR® Testing and Certification
- When you receive certification, notify CALeVIP by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Please attach any certification or approval documents you received from the ENERGY STAR® program noting which products have become ENERGY STAR® certified.
Add your equipment to the CALeVIP equipment database
- Add all equipment that has obtained ENERGY STAR certification to the CALeVIP equipment database. CALeVIP staff will verify your equipment and determine your equipment eligibility for CALeVIP incentive projects.
- For registered CALeVIP users, log in to your user dashboard and click the Add Equipment button. Complete the Add Equipment form for all equipment that has received ENERGY STAR certification.
- For new users, please create an account and sign up as an equipment manufacturer or service provider. After creating the account, it may take several business days to verify your organization as an equipment manufacturer or service provider. Once you are verified, follow the preceding step to add equipment.
- Once you submit equipment to be verified, CALeVIP staff will inform you via your dashboard and via email, within seven business days, whether your equipment is eligible for current CALeVIP rebate projects